Friday, March 23, 2012

Solutions For Coffee by Amada Anderson

I joined the festivity in 2009 and was really inspired by how all the shows were attempting to be green. I already am a recycling, whole wheat and olive oil, save water as much as possible kinda girl but I was really motivated even more by the non-profit organizations that we were partnering with that really were trying to change the community and in doing so change the world. I always am inspired and motivated by the DO MORE GREEN ATTITUDE and I realized the other day that I have been drinking coffee everyday. Everyday I drink coffee. Since I have been unemployed/self employed I usually make a pot of coffee and drink probably 2-4 cups a day. I would then pour out the remaining 2-4 cups down the drain not realizing that I was wasting coffee and money because the next day I could just get up and make more and what's 2-4 cups of coffee? Well, my friend Andrew Rothkin invited me to his house for a read through earlier this year and asked me if I would like some iced coffee. I was like...Woah! Your making it at home!? Wow! Why didn't I think of doing that? So I decided to start saving my coffee and using it the next day. However....I use coffee mate and sugar and I would have to heat it up and mix it and then put the ice in it and that was a little too much work for me in the morning especially after being up all night working on a website or practicing lines for a play. Then I ran out of coffee filters for my coffee machine. I had to have my coffee the next day, this was not something to put off or on hold or could wait...so my very sweet boyfriend Damon took me to the store and while shopping for the recyclable coffee filters I found this little plastic coffee filter. I had never seen one before and was kinda excited to use it and kinda scared because I wasn't sure it would fit my machine but it did and then it was DELICIOUS!  No weird coffee grains left in my cup or anything. It tasted so smooth and AMAZING! Then, in a moment of sheer brilliance as I was getting up to get my second cup/4th cup of coffee that if I put the powdered creamer and the  sugar and the cinnamon (yes, I sprinkle cinnamon in my coffee) into the actual pot and pre-mix it, leave it on the burner for a while, it might keep till the next day as pre-mixed and sure enough it did. I woke up the next day with pre-made ice-cold coffee both to drink at home or on the go. 

It's the little things that we do everyday that can change the world.  One step at a time. This was mine and I am grateful to share it with all of you! 

If you have anything special that you wish to share with our Planet Connections Festivity community please feel free to email Erika Bracy at planeterikab@gmail.com

I look forward to seeing you!

"I'm starting with the man in the mirror, I'm asking him to change his ways...If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make the change!" --Michael Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment